Friday, January 20, 2006

Skype

OK boys and girls it's time for kewl new software with Jim. The word for the day is Skype. "So what the hell is Skype?", you say? I say, "Potty mouth!", then follow up with, "It's a chat client." But it's a lot more than just that. It's a text chat client, it's an audio chat client and it's a video (beta) chat client. Here's the Skype business model. The SW is FREE! If you've got Skype and your buddy has Skype, you can text, audio and video chat for FREE regardless of your coordinates on the blue marble we call Earth. Did ya hear that? Free communication from Skype-mate to Skype-mate! It gets better. Let's say I'm sitting here on my ThinkPad and I wanna call someone on a POTS (plain old telephone service) land line. Then you Skype Out. Skype Out means you pay $.017 per minute continental and some other paltry amount for international. At essentially a penny a minute, I decided to throw ten bucks into the tip jar before I got my drink. I was impressed to say the least. As I said earlier, the audio quality was amazing. But what was really cool was that I was just sitting there talking into my ThinkPad and getting great phone service. I usually spend between 8 and 14 hours a day in front of my ThinkPad. Now to have a phone wherever I have a network connection, that rates pretty high on my neato scale. Now, if you wanna take the next step, you can Skype In. For twelve bucks for three months or $38 for a year, you can buy a Skype In phone number and you can receive phone calls right to your PC.

So there ya go. If you've got a desktop PC, head down to RadioShack and buy a $6 microphone and plug it in to the mic jack or the line in jack. If you've got at notebook PC, odds are a mic is already incorporated into the keyboard area. Set up a Skype account, install the software and enjoy the kewl.

PS - Regarding the toes, the next x-ray is scheduled for Feb 01. Still hurts, but nothing agonizing. Thanks to everyone for all the offers of help, rides to work and help in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment