Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Confirming: I'm Not Dead

Hello all. Here's a Jim update. WARNING: This update contains some personal and discrete information that I'm choosing to share because this site is primarily visited by family and friends and when they ask how I'm doing they want the unvarnished truth.

Overall my physical condition has improved slightly. My mobility is good and the pain in my pelvis is mild to moderate at any given moment, but is made worse when I try to sit on or rise from the floor. Essentially if I direct energy into my pelvis the pain increases proportionately. Overall, the pelvis is well on the path to recovery.

The ribs are no longer an issue other than occasional soreness. They are likely 85 - 90% healed.

Then there's the shoulder. With little exception my humerus stays at my left side. The exceptions being small deliberate motions intended to initiate the smallest amount of mobility and recovery. I have taken the pendular exercises to the limit and it's not fun. It feels as if a Matchbox car has been inserted into my shoulder socket. I've accidentally bumped it once or twice and David's given it an inadvertent tug as many times. One or twice I've walked it off and once it was remedied by a couple of Kleenex.

I am scared to death of the looming physical therapy, because it's going to hurt and hurt a lot. I am acutely aware that the percentage of my complete recovery is directly proportional to my courage and effort in PT; that's what scares me. I'm hoping that I can leverage my ability to suffer better as I've gotten older - a direct benefit from cycling - to ultimately get back to 100%. I'm willing to do what that's going to take and that is a big commitment.

Narcotic pain relievers cause constipation and I have not been immune to this. Currently I take 10mg of Percoset every four hours. I've had trouble with constipation since the day after my accident. Without too much detail I've suffered pretty badly on this front. The second and third worst problems associated with the constipation are pulled muscles and the irritation of the shoulder. And bear in mind I'm leaving out detail regarding the most painful part of severe constipation. We have implemented EVERY countermeasure and this morning was the first time I was in and out of the WC in less than 45 minutes and without further injury and pain.

Emotionally, this event continues to be a rollercoaster. Bad days are very bad. They are a mixture of guilt, depression, feelings of inadequacy, uselessness, pain and fear. They are remedied by the soft touch of my wife's hand or her shoulder to cry on and constant reminders that we're going to get through this. What's a good day? Having showered within the last 48 hours. Having made a significant contribution at work, albeit from home. Having helped out around the house. Maybe emptied some of the dishwasher. Having taken care of David after Karen gets him out of the tub. Good hugs and kisses from the boys. Developing strategies for having sex with a broken pelvis.

So as you can see by that last sentence, I've not lost my sense of humor. Let's let that be our barometer for now. If you've read this far I appreciate you taking the time to see how I'm doing. I'm in a challenging place and time in my life at present and how wonderful it is to have some of that challenge mitigated by the kindness of friends. Please keep checking back because I promise this story that had such a terrible beginning will have a triumphant conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment