Thursday, January 20, 2005

Slip Slidin' Sideways

Got the button working to e-mail all the Preis' with a single click; pretty happy with that. Didn't exactly implement the vision I had in my head, but it works and aesthetically, it's OK.


The trifecta of powdery snow falling on frozen road surfaces and everyone trying to get out of the park yesterday generated a drive home time for me of about an hour yesterday. I live about 16 miles from work. 16 miles... One hour... I'm starting to think about a "running shoes" solution at this point. IBM (tick-toc, tick-toc, tick-toc) opened at 10:00 AM today due to the roads still sucking. Now the weather people are calling for another 2 inches tonight. It ain't the amount of snow here that's the problem. Actually, slightly more would be better for driving. Yesterday's inch was worst case; it was just enough to create an 1/8th inch of ice on the road surface as the cars drove over it. If I didn't see 10 accidents, I didn't see one. Actually watched one in slow-mo. Some poor (not a financial reference) Hispanic dude in a utility truck, slid into the back of some white chick's Mercedes. I must admit that I was NOT able to stay on the road all the way home. Ass-end of the taco (Tacoma) got squirrelly on me on a left-hand turn over a small decline and I did a 270 degree spin and slid off onto the grass/dirt. The taco is the worst vehicle in the world to be driving on snow/ice. One, it's intrinsically light. Two, tires almost as narrow as my mind. Tres (for our Hispanic friends) it's a truck with no - and I mean no - weight over the drive wheels. Man do I miss the Rover :-(

So today is inauguration day, huh? Thank God for large volumes of alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment